Georgia’s First Wind Power Plant Construction to Start in March

TBILISI - Construction on Georgia’s first wind power plant will begin in March. 

Kartli Wind Power, a subsidiary of the Georgian Energy Development Fund and Georgian Oil and Gas Corporation, will carry out the works in central Georgia’s Gori and Kareli municipalities.

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) will cover 70 per cent of the total cost of the project in the form of a loan with the remaining 30 per cent paid by the Georgian Energy Development Fund.

According to the agreement, the bank will allocate $24 million to the project.

“We signed for the construction of the first wind power station in Gori in the beginning of 2016. This is a first in the Caucasus. Gori is one of the most attractive destinations in the world in terms of wind energy,” EBRD regional director Bruno Balvanera told Georgian TV program Business Contact.

The designed capacity of Georgia’s first wind power plant Kartli is 20.7 MW and the generated electric energy amounts to 88 million kWh.

Meventus, a leading Norwegian company in the wind power industry, presented the report and selected a six turbine scheme for the site.

Netherlands-based Vestas Benelux B.V – a subsidiary of Denmark’s Vestas Wind Systems A/S – won the first part of the tender and will supply the construction company with the turbines.

Construction is to be completed at the site by September.

15 February 2016 16:04